Sunday, March 28, 2010

Comin' From Where I'm From

On Friday we took you to see How To Train A Dragon at the local movie theater. It was your first movie theater experience and you were awed by the experience. You sat on our laps and stared at the screen with your mouth agape. A few times when the movie was a little intense you nursed with your mother, but mostly you sat and stared in total wonder. 


We now know that this wasn't the best movie for a 1 1/2 year old, but its the first children's film to play at the movie theater for a very long time. Because the show started at 5:20pm there were just a few other people there with their kids, and periodically you'd turn to watch them for a second before returning your attention to the dragons and the battle scenes. 

We've been wondering what sort of influence the pop culture is going to have on you. Horton Hears A Who is a concealed story about faith. And the Dragon movie mirrors the U.S. wars in Iraq where the enemy is only the enemy because they are themselves ruled by a despot. We've been watching the previews for children's movies with some sense of balance, but they've all become metaphors for military action of one sort or another. 

Tonight you wanted me to put the headphones on you so that you could listen to music. We sat on the bed and I plugged them into the computer while you struggled to put the headphones on...your knee. I helped direct them to your head, but they were way to big for you. Looking around the room, I noticed a pair of clean socks and I put them under the headphones to hold them in place. You were so adorable in your pink butterfly pajamas sitting on the bed with your legs straight out and the socks and headphones on your head. You were so serious as you intently waited for the music. So, to counter all the military action, I found an Anthony Hamilton video of the song "Comin' From Where I'm From" and put that on. 

You're eyes got very big and a smile passed over your expression like a summer rain. It was there and full and then it was gone. What remained was your seriousness for the task at hand. You watched the video on my computer and every now and then you'd wide-eyed in my direction before returning your attention to Anthony and the video. It felt good to equal out your pop experience with a classic, and I was thinking I'd write something witty and interesting about the moment--the look in your eyes, the recognition of a type of rhythm your mother and I tend to love--but I guess this is that entry. 

After watching Hamilton, we went to the grocery store and you suddenly became enamored with my face, which you kept gently kissing probably as a reenactment of of my kissing you. Then at home you became a little baby and crawled on the floors until it was time for good night. 

It's difficult to know which among these experiences will stand out or shape you in some way, but I guess that's the beauty of life. You never know. 

I love you, 
Dad





0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP