Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Dear Sava,

Your communication skills are growing, you are becoming cuter and more excited with life than ever before. It's almost absurd how cute you are. In fact, you're the child who makes people want a child. At least that's been a comment from quite a few people.

For the past few weeks now you've been on the "What's that?" phase, only you use who for what. We'll go walking and you'll ask "Daddy, who's that?" and I'll say "That's a ______ (flagpole, grate, brick, desk, lampshade, mousepad, coat rack . . .)" and you'll repeat (in your own language) "Moosh pad" "Cot wark". I always congratulate you and you seem so proud of yourself.

Last night we were sitting on the bed together upstairs. Your mother was downstairs, but you thought she was coming up and, as per usual, you shushed me. "Mommy coming," you said wide-eyed. Then you grabbed pillows and hid us under them. In the dark under the pillows you asked "Where mommy go?" "I don't know," I said. We looked up, but mommy wasn't there. "Where is she?" I asked. "Cooking," you said. "What's she cooking?" I asked. "Chicken!" came the reply.

The idea of chicken cooking was particularly appealing to you. "Mommy!" you called out. "Cook chicken!" I stopped you and asked you to repeat after me. "Mommy." "Mommy," you said. "Can." "Can." "You." "Yuuuuuu?" you said. "Cook." "Cook." "Chicken." "Chicken." "For." "Foo." "Dinner." "Dinner."

Excellent, I told you. Now say it back to me. You thought about it for a moment. "Mommy. You. Cook. Chicken?"

"Yes!" I said with a big smile. "And what else do we say?" "Thankyouyouwelcome," you said.

You were so excited to be able to ask your mother this complex thing that we actually went to the store and bought chicken to cook!

Tonight I returned home and found you still sleeping at 5:30pm. You woke up at 6 and we both sat in bed together watching Fern Gully for a little while. You really like sitting with me on the big bed, reclining back in my right arm with a pillow behind your head, and watching movies. You continually ask me, "Who's that, Daddy?" and I tell you, even if it's the same person 100 times. Then I ask you to tell me who they are. Most of the time you will remember, and when you don't, I remind you.

During movie time you inevitably grow bored with the movie and begin asking about my face. "That, Daddy?" you'll say while grabbing my ear. "That's an ear." "Eeeeaaarrrr," you say. In this way you've enabled yourself to attain an incredible vocabulary of terms. You not only know mouth, like most two year olds, but you know the difference between lips, teeth and the tongue. You also know nostrils, nose bridge, earlobe, shins, forehead, eyebrows, eyelids, eyeballs, and eye lashes. You're amazing. Truly amazing.

There is so much more I'd love to write. The wonderful dinner we ate tonight which was followed by jumping on the trampoline for starters. The moon kept going behind the clouds and you'd ask "Moon go?" Then you'd look all around in the trees, the bushes, up in the air. Then the clouds would part and you'd shout, "There it is!" We played this for a while, then we came in the house and you took a bath while I wrote this. Right now you're sitting on my lap. You're wet, but wrapped in a towel. You're burping and making silly noises...and while I write this, you gently touch my face and say, in the sweetest little voice, "Daddy, Daddy, milk please." I told you yes, I'll get you milk, but when I kept typing you poked your finger into my cheek very hard. "What is it?" You hugged me very closely. "Mommy," you said. "Uh. Daddy."


I love you, sweetie. And I'm going now because we are going to look at picture of crocodiles on the Internet before getting milk.

Daddy

0 comments:

  © Blogger Template by Emporium Digital 2008

Back to TOP